Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Potty Training Attempt #1-HELP!!!

I have been putting off potty training Parker because it is such a pain to do! I decided a few months ago that I would wait until his birthday to do it. So I have been telling Parker that once he turned 3 years old he would start to go pee pee and poo poo on the potty! I wanted him to be really excited about it. My mom got him some new Lighting McQueen underwear for his Birthday and we tried the whole potty training thing that same week. Well, needless to say, the pee pee in the potty part went great, but I cannot get him to go poop on the potty!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions? I bribed him with candy and he really loved that part about it. Every time he went pee in the potty he got money to put into a gumball machine and got some candy. It worked really good-but just not for going poop! I even told him that he could have 5 pieces of candy for going poop instead of 1 piece for going pee. After 2 poopy pants by about 1pm, I gave up and put him back in diapers because he refuses to go poop on the potty. I will take all of the advice that I can get. Thanks!!

6 comments:

Erin said...

I stole this off of my friends blog, it might be worth a try.

http://lucreciahale.blogspot.com/2008/03/miralax-is-my-best-friend.html

Good Luck!

Jenny said...

I need help, too. Carson is still in diapers. Ahhh!!!

Meredith said...

Lindsay was a tough nut to crack on the #2's - it took forever - I just had her keep pooping in her pretty panties that she loved and I kept rinsing them out because I refused to keep buying her diapers. She was dry overnight though very quickly. Caroline did poops no problem but is still soaking wet overnight - and she has been day potty trained for 2 years! Every kid is different. I had Caroline pick her treats and we made a chart - She picked those pink and white animal cookies. You could also try mini-figures of some characters he likes - we did a mini-set of Beauty and the Beast for Lindsay - the figures were tiny so they weren't too much per piece and she got to pick one figure out of a basket towards completing the collection for each milestone - whether it was a poop or whatever.

Good luck!!! I love undie shots!

Emily Brimhall said...

yep, I've struggled with Zach on this for the past 6 months. Guess who got him to poop on the potty? Grandma. When we went to park city, she didn't remind him or prod him at all and he had no accidents all weekend. We decided to try shushing our mouths too and he hasn't had an accident for 2 weeks. stubborn child. Good luck, I wish I had advice but I think every kid is different. Oh, but I don't envy where your at.

Michelle said...

It's been a while since I did the whole potty training thing... but I'm about to start this Summer with Mahlia. I remember with Joseph it was Grandma who finally made it click in his head. She was watching him one day and he had a poopy diaper and she said, "Joseph, this is yucky to go poopy in your diaper. GROSS! You're too big for poopy diapers." That did it. He was done. Gotta love Grandma's influence! Good luck!

Molly said...

I don't have much advice on the poop thing, Hayden didn't have a probelm, he just pooped about 10 times a day because he would never figure out if he was done or not. At the time he was in to cars so we had a huge basket full of all the cars toys and he had a sticker chart to fill up. I have heard so many people have this problem though, good luck!